FREE USA SHIPPING OVER $50

DYE PARTY: How We Made Surplus Fabric Beautiful


by Kristin Glenn March 29, 2015

Hand-Dyed-Maxi DSC_9293

One year ago, I came across some ugly surplus fabric.  

It was knitted in the USA, and the end customer didn't want it... likely because it was a really offensive pastel pink.

At first, I thought, "Maybe this could be cute!" So I bought it all. Three rolls arrived at my apartment and my heart sank. The possibly-cute pink swatch looked like a pink nightmare on the big bolts. #facepalm

Last fall, I enlisted Annie and Tessa in Colorado to help me turn this fabric into something totally unique and beautiful. Since we already had the patterns made for the Basic Maxi Dress, it felt natural to just create a dyed version of the maxi, too. 

I took the fabric to Westminster, where one of our sew shops is located out of husband-and-wife duo Hong & Hung's home. They cut and sewed the fabric, using a dark thread to match our dye. Finally, we were ready to create.

With the guidance of Tessa, a local textile artist, and about 10 friends, we hand-dyed these maxi dresses on an October weekend.

Tessa taught us how to create this gorgeous pattern. Many hands, burritos, and coffees later, we had set 50 dresses into our dye bath. I have to give HUGE thanks to Annie, Susan, Sarita, Melissa, Heather, Betsy, Kristie, and Allie for their camaraderie. I probably won't be doing this again (it was insane work!) but I'm really thrilled that we were able to use that fabric, and dig into a project like this for a weekend. They turned out better than I could have dreamt. Here's our process (and a little video, too!). SHOP THE HAND-DYED MAXI DRESS. (First, above, heating water on the stove to add with cool water from the hoses. The dye bath needed to be lukewarm at least, so I prepped big trash cans full of warm water in the morning.)

DSC_9190 DSC_9159 About ten friends joined us to fold and wrap rubber bands around each dress, about 1" apart. We folded the dresses into thirds, and then used different sized rubber bands all along the length of the dresses. Watch the video to get a better feel for the process! (Turn on HD settings in the video viewer below for best quality.)  

DSC_9182  DSC_9185 DSC_9194 DSC_9181 Once the dresses were folded and bound, we let them soak in water for a bit before dyeing.

DSC_9198  DSC_9215 DSC_9247 Tessa is prepping the dye, above. We used fiber-reactive dye, mixed with soda ash and salt. Below, adding salt to the mixture. DSC_9242 DSC_9245 DSC_9211 DSC_9253  DSC_9259-2 DSC_9230

Mixing up the dye bath and dropping in the first dresses! Below, rinsing some un-bound dresses that we dyed plain indigo.

DSC_9246 DSC_9267 After letting the dresses sit in the dye bath overnight, I woke up to THIS COLOR. In love. DSC_9274 Perhaps the most tedious part -- cutting the rubber bands, slowly and carefully, off of each dress. Where the bands are tight around the dress creates the lighter variation in color.

DSC_9275 DSC_9277 DSC_9287 And, that's it! We had taped up the care labels, so after the dye process, we took the tape off, rinsed them out, and washed them all with a special dye-setting soap. All in all, the dye process took about 3-4 days.  

 

 

THE END RESULT

Product-Shots




Kristin Glenn
Kristin Glenn

Author

Founded Seamly in 2013, from Boulder, Colorado. Currently living in Los Angeles, soaking in the sun and absolutely loving it. Writes and photographs everything around here!



Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.


Also in BEHIND THE SEAMS

Summer Style Ideas: The Utility Jacket
Summer Style Ideas: The Utility Jacket

by Kristin Glenn July 13, 2016

Read More

Tee & Tea
Tee & Tea

by Kristin Glenn June 16, 2016

Read More

Meet Ashlie & Erica
Meet Ashlie & Erica

by Kristin Glenn March 15, 2016

Read More